I’ve just released the screencast for Learn Enough Action Cable to Be Dangerous, which teaches you how to make real-time web applications using Rails and the WebSocket Protocol.
This is cutting-edge web development, the kind of thing that gives you a leg up on the competition when landing a contract or getting a job.
The Action Cable sample app is a real-time chat application, and for this kind of app the screencast format really shines. It’s hard to completely capture the dynamic nature of Action Cable in a written tutorial, but with a screencast you can really see the app come to life.
- Upgrading a Rails app to Action Cable
- Message broadcasts using WebSockets
- Polishing the User Interface with CoffeeScript
- Advanced enhancements like Markdown support and @-mention notifications
Anyone interested in building real-time apps will benefit from both the ebook and video versions of Learn Enough Action Cable to Be Dangerous.
There are two main ways to get it:
- Buy the downloadable ebooks & videos: Get EPUB/MOBI/PDF ebooks & over 2 hours of MP4 videos.
- Join the Learn Enough Society: Get access to a special enhanced online version (with community answers to exercises) and free streaming versions of all 2+ hours of the Action Cable screencasts.
Either way, I hope you enjoy learning enough Action Cable to be dangerous!